Saturday, February 5, 2011

Paris, Je t'aime!



View from the top of the Arc de Triomphe



When I first thought of Paris the first thing that came to my mind was history and lots of old stuff. It is so much more than that: food, wine, culture, art, cute men in skinny jeans, etc. The day I arrived in Paris my Aunt Cyndy and Uncle Berle picked me up from Charles- De Gaulle, minus my bag which arrived the next day thank you Delta. I hit the ground and the adventure began with a ride on the RER to our hotel and then to the Louvre. It’s astounding the amount of artwork and artifacts that are housed in this former Castle/Fortress. I feel bad for the paintings in the Italian room though; Mona Lisa hogs all the attention. The room is filled with some of the most breath taking paintings you will ever see, directly across from Mona Lisa is my new favorite painting The Wedding Feast at Cana by Paolo Veronese (picture below). If you plan to visit the Louvre make sure to get a map because I can just imagine getting lost, locked in and the paintings and statues coming to life… it could happen!
Today I awoke with a jet lag hangover that was quickly cured with amazing CafĂ© au lait and croissants, merci Hotel Diana. And again we were off, traipsing through Paris. We rode the metro to the Champs-Elysees and climbed the 284 steps to the top of the Arc de Triomphe, who needs a stairmaster when you have Paris. This was the most mind-blowing view; you could see all of Paris for miles and miles. Being so high up would satisfy anyone’s Napoleon complex, from up there you feel like you can conquer the world. Then we went to the Eifel tower, walked through the Tuileries garden and went back to the Louvre for a Starbucks; don’t judge. Paris has so much to offer it’s almost impossible to see it all but Aunt Cyndy is a fabulous tour guide showing me all the most best parts of the city. 
The Wedding Feast at Cana
Parisian Stair Master!
 
These two days have been wonderful and a great appetizer to the rest of my European feast. Tomorrow I’m off to Clermont! Au revior!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Paris! Could have spent an entire week in the Musee d'Orsay. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm moving into The Louvre. I'm going to hide as a statue in plain sight and no one will know that I secretly spend my evenings observing all of the art.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete