Thursday, February 10, 2011

Clermont-Ferrand



Cathedral made of volcanic stone, legit.

After all the hustle and bustle of Paris I was treated to an easy few days in Clermont-Ferrand, France. We walked, and shopped, and ate, and walked some more. On some of the streets it felt as if I had been transported back into medieval times, strolling down cobblestone streets beside antique storefronts, all that was missing were the rats. My aunt Cyndy showed me the two large Cathedrals in town, both are stunning and well worth the trip. The first is in the Gothic style made of volcanic stone making it extremely dark with bright, intricate stained glass windows. This cathedral could give Notre Dame a run for its money. The second, Notre Dame du Port, is in the Romanesque style with bright sand stone and tall columns. The elegance and intricacy of these churches baffles me, how did people do this hundreds of years ago?

The organ at the cathedral.

If you ever find yourself in Clermont you absolutely most go to Le Kitchen! This was the best meal I had in France, even better than Paris. I had the regional menu of an Auvergnian salad, coufidou (lentil stew with beef and carrots), and chocolate mousse, tres bien!
France was an amazing beginning to my European adventure, a huge merci to my aunt Cyndy and uncle Berle for being such amazing hosts, tour guides, and photography teachers!

1 comment: